In 2008 during his visit to the outreach medical care provision to homeless people in Amsterdam, Mr. Robert Zeilstra was impressed with the art of street medicine care as presented to him by dr. Igor van Laere. Instantly, Mr. Zeilstra promoted the need to share street medicine lessons. In response, and in collaboration with Rotary Club Amsterdam Nachtwacht and notary Mr. Jaap van Zaane, the Doctors for Homeless Foundation (DHF) was founded in Amsterdam at 2 April 2008. The first and generous donation to initiate and develop DHF was kindly provided by the S. Robert & Denise Zeilstra Foundation, ‘s-Gravenhage, the Netherlands.
To promote and energize policies and street lessons to improve social medical care for homeless populations, and to introduce an executive part of the Doctors for Homeless Foundation, and strengthen the network of homeless health workers, theNetherlands Streetdoctors Group (NSG), was established at 23 June 2014. www.straatdokter.nl
- Rolf de Witt Huberts, President
- Dick van Dijk, Treasurer
- Eric-Jan van Dam, Secretary
- Ronald Smit, Board Member
Former DHF Board members
- dr. Igor van Laere, Founder and President (April 2008 – April 2016)
- Prof. dr. Niek Klazinga, Board member (April 2008 – January 2014)
DHF Board meetings are held three times per year to update:
- Goals and policies
- Projects and activities
- Finance and fund raising
- DHF aims to promote and share international street medicine lessons: the knowledge and experience to improve care for people in social and medical exclusion, before and during homelessness.
- Supporting projects for homeless populations
- Technical advise to assist vulnerable populations
- Publication of papers and reports
- Teaching and public speaking
- International and national networking
- Promoting research on homelessness and health
Administration and charity status
The Stichting Doctors for Homeless Foundation is registered at the Dutch Chamber of Commerce (KvK) number: 34299151
The Stichting Doctors for Homeless Foundationhas obtained a charity ANBI status of the Dutch Tax Collectors Office. RSIN / Fiscaal nummer 8192.70.349
Fund raising activities include public speaking, sharing project reports and proposal submission to foundations, corporate and private sponsors organizations and benificiers.
Finance: Board members are volunteers supporting DHF, and only expenses in line with the goals and functioning of the foundation are being reimbursed. The balance is positive.